If you like rock music - I think you would probably enjoy DVD-A a bit more. It is real hard to find good 5.1 Rock SACDs. There is an Alice In Chains Greatest Hits SACD, but the mixing is poor. The same is true for Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory. The NIN - Downward Spiral is good, but could be had for a lot cheaper as a DVD-A. The same goes for The Who's Tommy. I own Johnny Cash - Live from Folsom Prison SACD and it is not that spectacular in 5.1. Most of my good rock SACDs (Rolling Stones, Birds) are stereo SACDs. Also, I own both Pink Floyd's DSOTM and Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic and they are great recordings.

I have been more satisfied with DVD-A's rock recordings - especially the REM Double Discs - one redbook CD and one DVD-A (seperate, not Dual Discs). They are must haves for any REM fan. The Foo Fighters and Stone Temple Pilot DVD-As are fun as well. In October, the Doors will be releasing DVD-As of all their studio albums, the crown jewel of all DVD-As in my opinion. On the other hand, Metallica's Black Album is a bit of a dissapointment.

I think SACD classical & jazz selections blow DVD-A out of the water from what I heard. I believe these formats are still thriving on SACD.

EDITED TO ADD (and this is important)- I see by your equipment profile you own the HK 525. The beauty of this receiver is that it CAN do bass management for hi-res. Just use the 6 channel or 8 channel DVD-Audio settings (do not use Direct as that defaults BM to your player. No need to spend lots of dollars on a high-end machine that does BM. I have an HK525 as well and I get really good bass using the 8 Channel DVD-Audio setting. Bass is pretty flat on Direct, though.

Last edited by royce73; 08/07/06 06:20 PM.