If I put a serious home theater in the basement in the future (didn't have budget to finish the basement now) I will definitely call Rives in. I was VERY tempted to bring them in for the initial construction of the house but I was very tight for budget and the schedule was pretty tight, so I didn't think there would be time to work out any significant changes with the builder.

There is a high end audio site where a number of the regulars have used Rives and were very satisfied. It might be one of the audiogon forums, not sure. All I can say is that I have heard lots of good and no bad about them.

Regarding treatments, the dimensions were poor and the bass response very uneven, so my first step was going to be loading the room down with bass traps. Fortunately, I ended up moving to a new house and was able to participate in the design, and the acoustics in the new room are much better.

Do a search here on "superchunk" and you will find a few threads from Randy (sirquack) regarding his recent adventures with room treatments. A number of other people also offered comments about their own experiences.

Sorry I don't have more to offer. I can tell you that some experiments I conducted with a bedroom system -- mostly treating reflections at the sides and behind the listening position -- had an astounding affect on imaging and perceived quality of the sound. I was using pillows and blankets, nothing fancy, but the results really surprised me.

Last edited by bridgman; 08/06/06 04:27 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8