I am looking at the same 3 sets: Sony KDS50A2000, Samsung HLS5087w & Mitsubishi 52631. I was able to see the first 2 side by side with 70"+ Mitz of the same series a short distance away. I theoretically favored the Sony technology to start with. The saleman gave me the remotes for the Sony & Samsung and said change the settings all I wanted. I was surpised that I never got the Sony to look better than the Samy. The main issue was black levels. While I got them adjusted to where the Sony was slightly better in the blacks it was more washed out over all. The Mitsubishi blacks, as set up were horrible, somewhat matching a review of an in between sized Mitz I read. It will take more investigation but the experience swung me more towards the Samsung which had a very solid picture, as did all the others getting the same signal. This leads me to believe that you cannot judge by what you see in an isolated store display, the signal quality will decieve you much of the time. I also looked at standard def material and never could get to the point where I thought the Sony had any real edge over the Sammy even though I started expecting the Sony would be better. I Like the cases on the Sammy and Mitz better than the Sony.

Mark