I hear ya about the HD-DVD and BlueRay stuff. Hard to buy anything right now not knowing what the new formats will be.

But….., as far as SD DVD goes, this Denon should do amazingly well. It does ‘up convert’ to 1080P and with the Reon chip, it will do it as well as the very best players on the market. The 3930 is using an even better chip (the T2), which is the same chip as in the 5910 and many high end stand alone video processors.

The VP 30 is not the processor to buy IMHO. It does great with SD Video, but not so good with SD film and it does not favor well with HD at all. The VP 50 however is totally new (not even shipping yet) and it “should” do very well with all formats including HD. It’s quite the talk at the AVS video processor board right now. All the other processors I’ve looked at that do well with SD and HD have noisy fans and the VP50 is ‘supposed’ to be very quiet, which may sound trivial, but it can be quite irritating.

Why don’t you just buy Roger something that he wants but he’s afraid you’d kill him if he bought it. You can both fight for a while and make up and then be happy. That strategy used to work for me with my X wives. Hmmmm…..maybe it didn’t work so well now that I just put that in words.