The night I fired up the masonry heater for the first time, I had some friends visiting. Part of the purpose of the visit was to try to recreate a specific German rye bread they liked. They ended up staying the night, and I made some sourdough english muffins in the morning which were a big hit. At the end of the visit, they asked me for some sourdough starter, so I split some off, fed it and sent it home with them.

I asked a few days later if the starter had survived the trip home -- the answer was a curt "no, I'll explain later", which seemed really odd. It wasn't a great starter but it was pretty tough -- it's survived me for at least 6 months now, including being left in both very hot and very cold cars, so I was surprised that my friends (who are smart, careful people) had been able to kill it.

Well, I got the story tonight. Turns out that when they left my place they put the starter, in a tupperware container, in the back of their Jeep along with Kingston, a large chocolate lab (retriever).

When they got home, the tupperware was empty and very clean.

Erp !!

Last edited by bridgman; 09/24/06 03:27 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8