Quote:

If I put the drivers flush with the front, that boundary disapears since the speakers' sides will still be in a cabinet. In other words, the speakers are designed for defraction on the edges of the front baffle, the physics change when they are put in a cabinet.

I'm not sure I understand your intent, but if you mean to place W series speakers in a cabinet, you'll run into a problem with the W2s, W3s, and W22s. They are meant to be mounted on a surface with the wood portion of the speaker extending beyond the wall. The reason is because they are ported on the bottom.

Quote:

I wonder if Axiom would be willing to build me a set of custom M22s

Probably not, but ask. The worst that could happen is they'd say no.

Quote:

Another issue I have is that the surround will have to go on the rear wall and the couch is pushed up against same wall. I'd love to use QS4s but aren't they designed to go on the side walls? Ceiling mount is not an option. I'm not sure where to go with the surrounds.

The QS series speakers are very forgiving when it comes to placement. There are a number of owners with seating against the back wall and QS series surrounds mounted on the back wall as well. Ideally, you want them from one to six feet above your head, and spread out along the back wall several feet from the listening area. They can be placed as close as 3 or 4 inches from the side wall. Experimenting with placement can help you find the spot that works best for you.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton