I'm not referring to a specific receiver, just in general. If I understand correctly, there are two ways to get a signal to the sub:

Option 1: You can run your front channels through your sub, which then extracts the low frequencies according to the crossover you set on the sub. This means you don't use the preout on the receiver and the sub controls the crossover.

Option 2: Use the sub preout on the receiver and run the front channels directly to the front speakers. This way the sub gets a dedicated channel from the receiver and the receiver now controls what frequency range is sent to the sub and front speakers.

The reason I'm asking is because my cable run is fairly long to the sub (~20-30 ft since the cables will go up to the ceiling, across to just above the sub, then down to the floor where the sub is). Now if I use Option 1, I only need two wires for the front channels to go to the sub, and since the fronts are on either side of the sub, not much extra cable is needed to carry the signal from the sub to the fronts. If I go with option 2, I need to have the 2 wires for the front channels as well as a dedicated LFE cable for the sub going the same distance. So it's a little extra cost to cable it for option 2, but if the sound quality is increased, I will go this route.

Does that make sense? The question is simply "Which sounds better, Option 1 or 2?"

____________________________ M22 VP100 QS8 EP500 Yamaha HTR-5960