Quote:

Most people don't notice quality. That's why country albums sell.

Bren R.

I've talked to a few people about this. One of my friends is the type who "buys the best because it's the best." He admits that he couldn't tell the difference between his 2-year old plasma and the brand new one but some magazine or other he reads said it's the best so there it is. He further says he doesn't have the time to research these things and simply relies on buying "the best" as far as people who run in his circles and such are concerned. Others may instinctively know a display has higher picture quality but not register is in a fully cognitive way. A friend of my wife came by last night and after watching the new TV for almost an hour said "you know, it seems like I'm seeing a lot more stuff on this TV than maybe I usually do. Everybody's complexions look so poor and scraggly." Well put, I must say. But that is her reference point when comparing her normal experience on her SD set HD on my new set.

I guess your statement is true, in general as well as specifically but with the caveat that most people out there DO know quality when it comes to one specific item or area. For example, when asked I could tell you exactly why IBM servers are of higher quality than Dell. Or I could tell you why Bose surround systems are just about the worst value on the market. Or which Vietnamese restaurant to go to in PDX. But there are are plenty of areas where I am clueless. But I like to try to FIND quality through research and empirical data when personal reference lacks.

As far as the Country music quip, well, it's also the reason Applebee's does such great business.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti