It's just a matter of not wanting to spend the money, so no matter how long he waits he won't spend more money on speakers. Just tonight after I made this post, he was picking out some Samsung HTIB satellite speaker system "complete" with dvd player and receiver for $525.

He constantly asks why is this not good enough. Why does he need to spend $500 on a receiver? I keep telling him if you aren't upgrading to just stay with the Bose 321 system he currently has and to just be satisfied with it. Its like pulling teeth to try to explain why he'll be happier with at least something a little better.

He'll never get it and I suppose he never will. It's just one of those things where if they are content with it, then they should be happy with it.

Complete budget was $3500 for a TV, DVD player, receiver and speakers. TV size was restricted to 40-50" but could be LCD, DLP or read projection LCD (Sony models).

With that budget I was suggesting

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR604 around $500.
DVD player: Oppo Digital DV-970HD $150
TV: many choices here for around $1800 these days.

That left $1050 for speakers not including any cables and speaker wire I'd need. To top it off he later said I had to find a TV stand too within that budget.

He sees my system and wants something decent too and asks for my help, then complains about things I've chosen, and then want to buy another satellite system to replace his Bose satellite system.

I told him just stick with your Bose and 10 year old receiver and be happy that you saved money.

I'm just going to go over to his house when he gets everything setup and laugh at him every chance I get.

I'll take opinions on how to spend $3500 within the set requirements. lol, to top it off, he's single with no wife or girlfriend and makes a 6 figure income. I'm still trying to figure this one out.

Shag