Here is what I have right now...

A six year old Yamaha RX-v795a (85w, 5.1 surround)

Axiom M22 for the front(roughly 3-4 yrs old)

Axiom VP 150 Center (same age)

SV 20-39 PC Plus Subwoofer

Infinity bookshelf for the rears. I forget their model #, though they have about a 5" driver. I find they suffice for their role...)

My room is about 14X23, with a high angled ceiling, 9' high on either end and about 14' in the middle of the room.

Here is what I am considering. Upgrade the front speakers to M60's. I was originally contemplating m80's, but my impression is that in order to drive them effectively would require a substantial investment in a new receiver which would be quite costly given the 4 ohm nature of the m80's. Furthermore, I have read several posts here and there that the m60's sound just about the same, the difference being the m80's can go considerably louder.

In your opinion, how much of an improvement would I notice by the simple upgrade to the m60's? I would subsequently move the m22's to the rear.

But wait! There's more!

I am also considering upgrading my receiver. I have read numerous positive reviews on the Denon AVR-2807. Obviously this would provide much more in the way of features, but also more power (110w) and 7.1 capability. This is probably a bit of a naive question, but do you feel that the new Denon would provide better audio quality than my current receiver, but not necessarily just because of the 6.1 or 7.1 capability. In other words, if I listened in simple stereo mode, do you think there would be a noticeable difference?

Any other receivers out there I might consider instead in the US$1000-ish price range?

I realize that these aren't easy answers to give due to the subjective nature of audio equipment, but I would appreciate any feedback you can give.

I do like the Axiom speakers that I have very much...but I have the urge to upgrade. I'm sure you can understand.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Last edited by geneevans; 11/11/06 06:16 PM.