Welcome Revel!

I agree with Jason (Jakewash). From your description, it sounds as though the subwoofer was either incompetent, or wasn't properly integrated with the rest of the speakers, and was having a deleterious effect on the whole listening experience. I've never heard Axioms described as lacking clarity. The complaints, from those who find them not to their liking, are usually at the other end of the spectrum.

If you'll share your general location with us, we may be able to steer you to another audition. Of, if you've not already done so, check the Auditioning Axioms in Your Area thread to see if there is someone else in your area. At the very least, you could order a pair of the Axiom main speakers which interest you (M80s?), audition them in your own home for up to 30 days, and, if you found them not to your taste, return them. You would only lose the cost of return shipping to Buffalo, NY. If you like them, then you could go ahead and order the rest of the system.

You've got a large room, so I would budget a good amount toward a subwoofer(s). In a room that size, at the minimum, I'd consider two EP500s or one EP600, or something comparable.

Lastly, I'll make my usual recommendation that you make a toll free call to Axiom, explain your situation (room size, etc.) and ask their advice. They are not some big impersonal corporation. They are down to earth folks whose passion is making great speakers. You'd find them very helpful, and they won't recommend anything you neither need nor want. In fact, there have been a number of instances where they recommended a smaller system than the caller was initially considering. They are more interested in creating a satisfied customer than making a quick sale.

Again, welcome. And good hunting.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton