I like in the Gulf Coast area ravaged by Katrina and have a wonderful opportunity to start from scratch. I had a Techniques receiver and a Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system. I can have anything I want (within reason) as long as the speakers can't be seen! The Mrs is hung up on the notion that ALL floorstanding speakers are a throwback from the '70's and has threatened macrome baskets with hanging plants to complete the motif if I push too hard. This not being a hill to die on for me, I'm looking at my options for bookshelf systems. On top of the list is the Epic Grand Master system. Also on the list is the Klipsch RB-81 system as well as (at the $$ extreme) Paradigm Reference Studio 40 System Two. My biggest concern is stuffing a rear ported speaker on a shelf with a bunch of books and the subs in the cabinet below the TV. Room size is 4200 CuFt (~ 25 x 21 x 8) with the TV (entertainment center) on the long wall and the couches about 12 feet back.

So the quetion is, is how much is being relegated to "hidden" speakers gonna mess with the sound quality? I like better sound quality than most, particularly good solid bass when and where it needs to be, but I don't consider myself a true audiophile.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Last edited by a401classic; 12/01/06 01:55 AM.

Scott

My HT