Quote:

When we say "hot" that is referring that you have the volume (gain) set to high for the sub. Many people like to crank up the sub volume either on the sub or receiver, much higher than recommended. I like to set my receiver sub level adjustment to 0dB, and then adjust the subs volume(gain) up/down until I reach 75dB's on the SPL meter (see below).

Calibration is done by purchasing a Radio Shack SPL meter, placing it in the primary listening position, and run the receivers test tones, and then adjust each speaker, including the sub to 75dB's.

Also, you normally want to let your receiver manage the sub's crossover setting. So if your sub has a crossover knob, put it on bypass or crank it all the way clockwise to get it out of the way. Then on the receiver most people will set all speakers to "small" with a crossover of 80hz. Anything sent to the speakers below 80hz, will be redirected to the sub.

Do I set my subwoofer to 80hz also? Oh yea my H/k receiver has a EZ-eq feature should I use that instead? Thanks!