I was considering yamaha before I went with Denon, and researched the HTR vs RX-V question. The Yamaha site says lines are the same, it is just a marketing isssue concerning the model numbers. There is a lot of FUD propagated out there that says otherwise, I am guessing it is generated by the high end retailers that are authorized to carry the RX-V line. I of course dont have the definitive answer.

I do think Denon does the same thing, and thats why the 4 digit model number of Denon equipment are not carried in the best buy store itself, but in the "Magnolia" store located inside the best buy store.

Yamaha HTR-xxxx = big box retailers and online sales
Yamaha RX-V = high end audio video stores, limited authorized online sales.

Denon 3 digit models = big box retailers and online sales
denon 4 digit models = high end audio video stores, limited authorized online sales.

I may be generalizing a bit on the model numbers, but you get the idea.
i imagine this really keeps the "price match guarantees" to a minimum.

as far as the wattage, they are quoted differently. i think one is quoted at 1000 hz and the other over an entire audio range. the gist of it is the big box retailers quote a higher wattage to be comparable to the way wattage is calculated from other manufacturers they are competing against in the big box stores. I also imagine the THD is higher as the wattage goes up, so I can see where the inference of "cleaner" power can come from.

Randy

Quote:

Just a note about going with the HTR series of receivers in that the amps are not as clean as the RX-V series. I

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4