One of the problems I'm running into at this point is that I'm trying to mix apples and oranges. The 12 year old M&K MX-200 just doesn't quite cut it when it comes to trying to keep up with the EP-600. What I need to do is buy another EP-600!

Seriously though I've been listening / researching / experimenting all day with different settings and hook ups. I’ve got an Outlaw 990 feeding this set up. One thing I found is that the balanced XLR is several db’s higher than the rca sub pre out. While running the balanced to the EP-600 and an rca out to the M&K it’s all the M&K can do to even be heard. I then tried a “Y” connector from the XLR to both the subs, still very low output on the M&K. However when I changed to running a left and right rca from the main left and right pre outs instead of the single rca sub out on the 990….shazam! Night and day difference. For what ever reason those pre outs (left and right main rca’s) are several db’s above the sub rca pre out.

I have run one sub for years and always been happy with it. Most of my listening is music. 90 /10 music / movies. However I had the M&K just sitting around collecting dust so I thought I would give it a try. Let me tell you, now that I have experienced 2 subs I don’t think I could ever be happy with one again. Dual subs has allowed me to attain a much wider soundstage as well as depth. I like the sound of the M80’s at “large” rather than set to “small” and using the 990’s crossover. Finding just the right balance of crossover and phase though is a bit tricky especially considering I’m incorporating the subs crossing over into the M80’s territory. Once I hit it though it sounds great. What seems to sound best is the EP600 set to 60hz and the M&K set to about 80hz. I think that the M&K has quite a steep roll off. Something like 32db’s so it needed to be stepped up a bit. Sounds great though! Really this is all a learning experience so that I’m better educated for the future. Some day there will be a dedicated theater / media / music room in our house and I want to do it right from the start.

I did find in one of the M&K manuals actually where they suggest for dual subs running the left and right pre outs to each individual sub. Even using a “Y” splitter if they are your only pre outs to your amp. This makes a lot of sense to me considering the whole stereo bass issue that I’ve been pursuing here. Right now I’m running all XLR except for the M&K. Funny thing is though in reading through all the Velodyne literature that I can find, all they talk about is daisy chaining their subs together. Seems that most of the world is locked into blending both channels into one for subs. I would have thought that a lot of the so called "audiophiles" would have taken this to task by now. Maybe they have and I'm just not finding it in my research.

What would seem to make sense is to have pre amps with two sets of crossovers that were both adjustable. One for the mains and one for the subs. With 2 sub pre outs. That way we could all tweak things to our own liking. Right now it seems that the majority of processors have 1 crossover. Say at 80hz. It may be adjustable but that’s all you get. So if you’re in a situation where you would like to run your mains at say 40 or 50 hz….which is where I think the M80’s sound best….and you want to bump up your subs to say 50 or 60hz then you can’t do it. Unless of coarse you run them from your pre outs full and use their crossovers which is what I do now. Yes there are external crossovers and such now but then we’re getting into more signal degradation. Maybe I’m way off base and this would cause more confusion than it’s worth but it’s a thought anyway. Ah well.

It would be nice to have a variable phase switch instead of a toggle but that will have to wait. Right now I’m considering a pair of B&W 800D’s and 2- Velodyne DD-15’s for the music room. However for now I'm very happy with the sound of the Axioms. They are by FAR the best value for the $$ out there. If only the EP600 had a variable phase and remote.