I'm helping a novice friend pick out a modest, but nice system for an app. 14-15' by app 25-30' with app 8' ceiling. Panelled walls and carpeted basement (concrete) floor. The speakers would be placed on the short wall. The amp will be a 45 wpc AMC integrated. (Gonna play a lot of vinyl, so we're kind of getting the AMC for the phono stage.)
The choice we're contemplating would be either the M50 or M3/EP125 combo. I guess the key deciding factors would be midrange clarity and overall cohesiveness, especially re: bass control, definition andpitch. Dynamics, too. He wants at least a decent amount of muscle. (He has some other friends who all have Bose AM-5s and he doesn't want to be mocked as one who settled for an "off" brand. I told him he'd get Bose over my dead body!)
Would the 45 watts (30 amps current) likely have the juice to control the bass of the M50s and provide good "crankability". Roughly how much space behind the 50s is generally adequate?
While I have your ear, what is the minimum breathing space behind the M3Tis on their own in a smaller room? I would have only about a foot. Thanks!