Quote:

fear touching it to get the power off because I might be electrocuted. So I kick the power button and throw a towel over the top which manages to douse the flames.

.....Because your toes conduct less electricity than your fingers???

Sorry, I couldn't resist. That is really a disappointing story. I'm no expert but it's too bad you didn't return it a few times to have the quirks fixed. At least then you would have a documented history to show it didn't work correctly from day 1. Without that, "out of warranty" may very well mean "out of warranty."

Depending where you live, the store you bought it from probably had a legal obligation to inform you if it was indeed refurbished. You might be able to play that angle but the sad truth is that for the time, effort and money to fight a battle over an out of warranty product, it might be just easier to get a new one. I've been there. It's tough to win and I only fought on due to the principal, not for the money as it got beyond the worth of that.

Of course, it never hurts to ask and threaten some pressure over taking further action if need be, if you truly feel you were wronged. They might surprise you and come good....or not.

I have been surprised by the integrity of some shops before. Seems smaller privately owned shops often have more integrity than their big box brothers. I buy locally and small when I can for that reason. Even if it means I pay a bit more.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.