Quote:

I have a Denon 3805 which doesn't have the HDMI switching capability. I have several devices that connect to my HDTV through component/S-video/composite which I would like to upconvert to HDMI through a receiver. That means I have to purchase a new receiver with this function which I don't want to do. My question is that has anyone tried this? Does it really make the component/S-video connection much better? I would love to have only 1 connection (HDMI) to my TV but if it doesn't improve picture quality, it doesn't justify the cost for me. Thanks for your help.

It really depends on what you use to "up convert". Some video processors do better than others. There is a night / day difference when I route SD video through mine (DVDO VP-50), but it's not exactly cheap either. Currently, I am not impressed with any VP chips in ANY receiver on the market. The only exception would be the Anthem AMV or D2. Those machines are about $6000 and up. Then you have to buy amp's to go with them. I had an HK745 and tried its video processing. It’s quite pathetic in comparison to the VP-50.

The new Denon's will have one of the best chips on the market right now for video processing. You might as well wait for them or pick yourself up an external VP. All the others are a waste of money in my opinion. Just because they can up convert, that doesn’t mean they do it well.

Oh, I reckon I should have asked what your disply resolution is before rambling on about VP's..... Anthing might just be a waste of money depending on your display.