You may have read in my other post that I'm trying to decide what to use to power my new HTPC. Due to space issues, I simply cannot keep the separates that I'm using now. (Rotel RMB-1075 and RSP-1066)

I really would like to hear as many opinions as possible on this, as I don't like changing gear all that often, so selling the Rotel and buying a receiver while at the same time dipping my toe (more like diving in!) into HTPC is a bit unnerving.

He's the skinny...

I'm building a HTPC and need a receiver to power it.

All video inputs will be run directly into my tv. I don't really need any sort of video switching/up rezing.

What will be running through the receiver is the following...

-6 channels analog out of sound card (using Power DVD Ultra for DVD/Blu-Ray playback - giving me access to lates Dolby and DTS codecs. Also using analog out give me EAX for gaming)

-Time Warner DVR box (HDMI video direct to tv, digital audio to receiver)

-PS2 - (via optical)

-Denon DVD-2900 (at this point pretty much only for SACD/DVD-A playback via analog outputs)

Unless I'm missing something, all I really need the reciever for is audio switching of the above mentioned items, FM/AM (though a minor point), and obviously power amplification. I don't even need a remote, as I'll be using the Harmony 880.

Soo...this is a long winded way of putting these two proposals up to you guys:

Used Denon AVR-5800
New Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi
New Denon AVR-3806

From what I've read the 5800 is supposed to be the one time be all end all of all-in-one receivers. It's obviously a bit dated now, and doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles, but as it's use will be limited, perhaps it's a good idea. ??? Also, if I'm not mistaken, it has not one, but two sets of 7 channel analog inputs, making hooking up the sound cards analog channels AND the DVD-2900's a breeze.

On the other hand, I've heard lots of great things about the new batch of receivers, including the Denon 3806 and Pioneer 84TXSi. And it'd be a new unit, not used.

Money-wise they're all reasonably in the same range.

What say you good people? I'll even add a poll to make it more fun, but please post a reply with your reasoning for your vote!

What should I do?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 02/20/07 05:06 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.