I'll throw another wrench into it.

I moved from Directv to Comcast. I like to have HD and Tivo so I use the Directv HD Tivo for a while. But I don't like the fact that new HD channels require their new MPEG4 DVR which isn't Tivo. In fact, you'd have to use the new DVR if you want the new HD channels. AND, if you make ANY changes to your HD service, you have to commit to another 2 yr contract. Buh bye.

I personally like that Comcast is month to month. Overall, for me it's cheaper by almost half because of the deal they gave to new customers for a year. I use Comcast w/ the Series 3, fantastic so far.

If you don't need HD, then you can get a decent package w/ a sat receiver to use w/ your standalone Tivo. Honestly, the basic package isn't that bad. Also, because I gave up DirecTV, I now have a DirecTivo Series 1 unit that's unused. PM me if you decide to go DirecTV. It'd cost $5/mo but you'd have a dual tuner Tivo for satellite, not bad. It's upgraded to 80 GB and I have the CD to upgrade any new HD if you want.

Never went to Dish but I hear their DVR isn't bad. The new HD one also lets you archive to external HD, from what they said at CES.

Another alternative, if you have it in your area (some parts of the Bay), is to try AT&T's FIOS. From what I read in the Chron, it's also decent.