I am looking to get a OTA antenna but I want to get your opinion first. I went to antennaweb.org with the lat/long and the approx height of where the antenna would go and I got the following report:

I really only care about the ones in yellow. And it shows my map as:

I was thinking that I would need a monster antenna like a Channel Master 4228, but maybe not?

The trick is that I would like to mount the antenna in my attic. I know that the house itself will have some effect on the signal though. If I mounted it in the attic, I could run the cable down inside the house and right next to my home theater. I would, however, have to couple it in with an existing RG6 line run from the utility room next to the theater, to my equipment rack. We have a two story house, but this attic area is above the garage, so it is like being at the height of the 2nd floor roof, maybe a hair taller.

My other install option is at a height about level with the floor on the 2nd story, but it would be outside. The cable run would be a bit more of a hassle as there are no good ways to get the cable from outside the house to the inside. I really don't feel comfortable mounting the antenna any higher because of some very steep roof lines. I don't want to pay for someone to install it because, hey, I'm trying to get HD "on the cheap" so to speak.

Any ideas or experiences would be helpful.

PS. I will be using an old Voom satellite receiver with the OTA HD option (satellite portion is useless, obviously) to get me started. Once I have my wife convinced to keep HD in the theater, I can start pushing for a nice HTPC as well that would replace the Voom box.

One step at a time....

Farewell - June 4, 2020