Thank you all for your recommendations. I hope that a Grand Master 350 fits the budget, but as you say, Larry, it's choices, balance, and timing. Timing and balance are limiting our choices in a way they didn't when the house was just a wood frame. Now they must balance custom cabinetry and tile with the speaker budget, when six months it looked like they had more money than they knew what to do with.

I read a lot about speaker recommendations based on the room dimensions/layout in these forums. As it relates to the sub, say the 175 vs. the 350, do I get lower frequency response and more volume with the better sub, or is the 350 also cleaner and tighter? For the target audience, clean and tight will be more important than loud and low. Am I safe with the 175, or will the 350 be needed (I know it will be better, but will it be needed)? How does the room affect this? Will the smaller sub 'die' in the big room, or will the reflective surfaces amplify the sound to unwanted levels? Is there no way to predict? I hope you are answering because you enjoy this stuff. I don't want to give anyone a headache (besides myself).