Peter

I'm not nearly at the level of technical expertise that you appear to be by your thread. However, I will tell you that I went with Outlaw components (990/7500 combo) and am very happy with my setup. I have the M80/VP150/QS8 combo for my speakers. I feel that the 990 brings out much greater detail than my pervious receiver which was an older Yamaha. I tried that as pre/pro with the Outlaw amp and the sound was so much "thinner." It played louder but sounded "tinny." I think you'll be happy with the 990, but they have as good a group of people to help you at Outlaw as the fine people hear at Axiom. They're technical people are very helpful so if you'd like give them a call, or e-mail them, with your questions. They'll be very happy and capable of giving you some good answers. They are also great at making the return of their equipment very easy. I first had the 7125 amp but decided to go with the beefier 7500 when it became available. The exchange could not have been any easier. I was very satisfied with their customer service. So if you try the 990 and don't like it, giving it back within the 30 day trial window is not a heavy lift.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision. Sorry I'm not more technical savvy. Oh, by the way, the DAC is from Crystal (I believe).