I have the following set-up under construction: M80's, VP150 and 2 QS8's (on order); Sherwood Newcastle R965 receiver, DirecTV HD receiver (HDMI outs), Panasonic 50PH9UK plasma with one HDMI input. I would like to get an upscaling DVD player. It is my understanding that the DVD player will not upscale most commercial DVD's unless it is connected through HDMI cables. The R965 does not have HDMI connections, so I purchased a SN HSB-600 HDMI switcher (2 in, 1 out). But now I am thinking that this switcher may be unnecessary.

Could I not just connect the satellite receiver via component cables through the receiver out to the TV, and connect the DVD player via HDMI straight to the TV, and run the DVD audio into the receiver? This set-up would allow me to switch sources with the receiver's remote, wouldn't it? (the HSB-600 has its own separate remote, which is somewhat undesirable).

Would there be any noticeable difference in video qualtiy from the satelite receiver using component connects instead of HDMI?

What advantages would there be to using the HDMI switcher?

M60's Rotel Nad Music Hall MMF-5
M80's VP150 QS8's Sherwood Newcastle Panasonic Plasma
Algonquins