Bray,

They are virtually identical to the point that they share the same owner’s manual. Wherever there is a difference in the manual, it is noted in parentheses.

The 8001 has a more robust power supply with the Troidal transformer, that’s why I think it is a better match with 4 ohm speakers, although the 7001 will definitely drive them.

After scanning the manual, I’ve found the following differences. The 8001 has this stuff over the 7001....

125 WPC verses 110 WPC
Troidal Core Transformer
Selectable Multi Room Component Output
IR Receiver Input
Emitter Output
Multi Room B output
2 HMDI outputs verses 1 HMDI output

The issues I have with this machine are around Marantz not admitting they have an issue and their VP’s giving me lip service. My 8001 was one of the first units to hit shelves. It will not recognize a discrete 6th or 7th channel from BR/HD uncompressed PCM. The new units do not apear to have this deficiency, (although I can not confirm this) but Marantz does not acknowledge this flaw and they continue to piss me off by giving me ridiculous stories.

My unit is currently at the main service center getting a check up. It would shut down for no reason. It took me three times, getting three different tech support guys to tell me I had an internal fault and to send it in. The first two kept telling me it was a bad speaker. Marantz would not exchange this unit, but told me to send it in for repair. Shipping it to them cost me $100. I wasn’t too happy about that. – It has been four weeks and I do not have it back yet.

Other than that, the machine does what I want it to do and it does it very well. I would like multiple X-over points, but sadly, it only has one for all channels.

But as I stated earlier, if you can wait a few months, that’s what I’d do. Onkyo, Integra, Denon, NAD, Rotel, Sherwood Newcastle and Meridian have all announced that their new lines will start shipping before the end of summer and they will all have HMDI 1.3 audio processing to keep up with HD and BR. All of them look very promising. For those looking for new electronics, I think this will be a pretty interesting year.