Hi everyone:

I just bought a pair of the outdoor m3's (too hard to remember that name). Very VERY nice sound out of them. I also have a pair of indoor M3's, M40's, QS8, VP100 .. so I'm familiar (and obviously happy!) with the axiom sound.

Anyway, I did all the wiring the past couple weeks to wire my slimbox (i LOVE that thing!) to the outdoor speakers. My slimbox goes in via RCA cables to a yamaha receiver. I have my indoor M3's attached and the outdoor M3's attached to this receiver. I run speaker wire from the receiver down through my basement and up through a in-wall volume switch and then from the switch outside.

My question (you knew there was a question, right?) is 2-fold:

1) why do these in-wall volume speakers have to have preset "click" settings (i don't know what to call them, prepositions?). My best guess from reading is that the switch is keeping the resistance constant to the receiver and it can't do this on an "infinite" sliding scale like a dimmer would present? It's annoying, but i can't find a product that doesn't have the "steps" (I've found 12step controls).

2) The volume out of the speakers is too low. I had my receiver at maybe 33% volume when I was just driving my B channel for the indoor M3s. Now I have it 75% with my A channel driving the outdoor M3s, and even with that I have to crank the volume all the way up with the in-wall switch. The volume is acceptable for normal deck listening, but I want SOME headroom. Any idea what's causing this?

I am going to wire the switch OUT to see what happens. But I wanted to get any opinions as well just to hear the "experts" opinion.

Thanks!