Yet another "which TV" thread...

I would like the benefit of your collective experience.

So, I've got this old (but still bright) 55" Mitsubishi CRT RPTV. It was the bomb 12 years ago. It's a little less incendiary now, but still weighs 300 pounds. We sit about 12 feet back on the couch. There is a loveseat on the side that is closer. One of the kids usually reclines there. There is no capacity in this house for an elegant flatscreen install or a projector. I've tried to work it around, and the tradeoffs just aren't worth it. So, whatever I get will probably still sit on the existing long/low TV stand.

So, I'm wanting to enter the brave new world of HDTV. Bleeding edge, that's me. Not.

I keep stuff a while (in case you hadn't noticed). I believe there is no substitute for "big".

In addition to a display, I'll have to spring for DirecTV HD DVR and a new player (probably an Oppo).

Other inputs could include HTPC and Wii. We DO watch SDTV a fair amount (with no other options at the moment...). My receiver is a Denon 1804 that doesn't do ANY HDMI, but I have a trusty MX-700 remote so I'm not really worried about switching inputs on BOTH the receiver and the TV when I switch sources. Macromania, baby.

Current candidates:

Panasonic TH-58PX60U 58" Plasma for about $2,279. Advantages - big, bright, flat, no bulbs to replace, possibility of slapping it on the wall if we remodel or move. Disadvantages - smaller, costs more money, energy hog, only 720p.

JVC HD61FN97 61" 1080p HDILA Rear Projection TV for about $1,750. Advantages - bigger picture, $500 cheaper, 1080p display, lots of inputs. Disadvantages - bigger form factor, future necessity of paying for an expensive bulb. I could move down to the 56" and save another couple hundred dollars, but I will not go to a 50" display, so smaller plasmas are out.

I'd consider just about anything 56" or above but it's going to be practically impossible to convince me to spend more than the Panny plasma.

Does the future cost of the bulb make this a wash economically?

Are either of these sets (or others) more forgiving relative to ambient light?

Should I wait (again, more) for the LED light engine like the one in this Samsung HL-T5689S to mature and come down in price? Does anybody have an opinion on that technology?

Your counsel is greatly appreciated.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem