Another question for the PC experts. (I'm glad I'm not the expert I used to be in old school computers.... I get to ask the questions now.)

I am almost finished ripping all my CDs to FLAC so they sound better via my Squeezebox. There is one last CD that causes my PC to freeze as soon as it gets loaded into the drive. Manually eject the CD and control returns.

I know what you are thinking..... Turn off the auto-load feature for the drive. I can assure you that I have and I have verified it by checking that the "Autorun value" under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdrom.
of the registry has been set to "0".

Is there something deeper in the registry I need to adjust so it totally ignores the CD until I open up my ripping software?

I suspect that the drive may not be trying to 'run' anything but it is trying to verify that there is a readable CD in there and finding something it doesn't like. Tricky data, maybe even CD damage? However, even if you throw a damaged CD in there, it doesn't freeze. In fact, I tried throwing in the clear plastic spacer that came with my carousel of blanks and it didn't freeze.

This tells me it is reading some kind of data, real or by accident, that is hosing it.

I also considered the Sony trojan that they were sneaking onto their CDs for a while. However, I have checked that it is not on mys system and it is not a Sony CD in any case.

Also, If you read another recent post, you know I just recently had to reinstall everything over a new Hard Drive after my old crashed. I'm bare bones with with XP, SP2, Vanguard (game), Firefox and Slimserver. It still freezes the PC. I'm turning of my antivirus software as well when I tied it again on the new PC.

Thanks ahead,
Murph

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.