OK with my limited knowledge of electronics, I could envision building a simple switch that quietly transfers signal from one set of speakers to another for comparative listening.

However, with all the chatter about which amps and processors possibly sounding better or worse than another, it got me thinking about why people never post that they have tried going back and forth from one set of gear to another. I suspect, the quick answer is somewhere between, I'm having too much fun with my new gear and it's difficult to set up a switching process that doesn't involve cable swaps.

Soooo.
I can see Toslink being a pain. You need specialized equipment to switch fiber optics. However, with Coax, we are back to electrons and a more manual switch would work, but how well? Without even going into the 'rules' of a double blind listening test (of which I don't know much about either) I can still envision some challenges.

With speakers, or even separate amps, a mixer type device could ensure a seamless transition from speaker group A to speaker group B. However, with a digital, multi-channel signal this would not be the answer.

Has anyone built a switch to simply take input from say a DVD player and seamlessly transition it between two processors/receivers?

If so, can you share the basic schematics, theory, complications or reasons why this isn't commonly done at a DIY level?

Work is spookily slow today so I'm thinking too much.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.