Quote:

My Onkyo 797 has panorama/dimension settings that allow me to expand or contract the centre channel information, drawing the dialogue inward or expanding it left and right.
I've found that the default setting of 3 works fine for my tastes but i can see how sometimes one might hear the dialogue being collapsed in the centre.

Thanks for the info about the center channel settings. My Denon also has panorama, dimension and center width modes under the PLIIx. I missed that in the manual because it was under the “music” rather than “cinema” parameter and thought it said it only worked for 2ch audio but it appears it also works with other sources. I also missed that there was a cinema EQ setting to lower the treble. I’ll have to try these out.

Quote:

Certainly the small distance you have between the M80s will also affect how a centre channel can play effectively between them given the varying heights in tweeters and the obvious difference in orientation across the front three speakers.

Unfortunately until I move I have to work within this relatively small space. I did try raising the M80s a little so the tweeters across the front were more alighted. However for most movies this created a worse situation as the entire soundstage moved up above the screen. At least with the M80s sitting on the floor they help to pull the overall soundstage down closer to the center of the screen.

I want to reiterate to anyone reading this that I am in no way criticizing the VP150. I am comparing it directly against my M80s which is just downright unfair even before my limited placement options further compromises how they are allowed to bend together. Despite my growing preference for the way the phantom center blends when watching alone I can’t imagine not using the VP150 when showing off my system as it really does create more of a movie theater feel.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1