Hey Mojo I was referring to output and SPL \:\) A doubling of sound pressure level means the audio signal level is increased 3 dB ie. there is twice the acoustical energy. However as you mentioned our hearing does not work linearly and that 3 dB or doubling of SPL does not seem to sound twice as loud. Our perception of twice as loud occurs at roughly a 10db increase even though a doubling of SPL occurs with a 3db increase.

It would have been more precise to say the EP600 has about twice the max SPL of the EP500 which has twice the max SPL of the EP400 as can be seen from the specs on anechoic and in-room SPL. http://www.axiomaudio.com/specs_subwoofers.html

Quote:
Why would anyone buy anything other than a 400 given the information in that graph? The 500/600 need to be more differentiated in my opinion.

Depends on your perspective. A doubling in SPL means alot in your audio system. A more powerful sub means less likelihood of compression other things being equal. For me the difference of 3db output and 3hz extension between the 500 and 600 is very significant in that the 600 can output twice the energy and run deeper. Between the 500and 400 the gap narrows in extension but the 500 can still output double the energy of the 400. The 6db difference between the 600 and 400 is nearly 4x the acoustical energy being output. Those differences for a single sub may not appear like much on paper but they make a BIG difference in your audio system.

What I find interesting is the discussion of how 4 600s and 4 400s sounded so similar in a moderately sized room.

John