The X2 firmware pushes that I have been following first started out with a 1080P/24 push that was to enable the machine to pull off of the disk the native / non processed 1080P/24 data. It did not do this correctly and a subsequent firmware revision corrected this. Prior to that mess, the X2 had faulty bass management and the first firmware push was to resolve this and some DVI / HMDI issues. The first firmware push did not resolve the bass issues and a subsequent push took care of this. I believe that Homedad bought his after these problems were finally addressed. It is for those two instances that I am aware of that I made the firmware comments above. Toshiba may not always get it right the first time, but they do endeavor to get it right.

The X2 is still Toshiba’s flagship player. It has a better build quality to it, it has the Reon with noise reduction for better SD upconversion, and I also think it’s a better looking machine. If…Toshiba does push out another firmware update to allow it to push the bitstream formats for DTS-M and DD True HD, then this would be the machine to buy. I was not aware that it already decodes DTS-M. I had read differently at AVS (go figure).

I am currently using an A2 and I hate it. It’s a cheap plastic POS compared to the X1 I had. The only reason I bought it was the faster load times it has over the X1. I am waiting to hear what Toshiba does with the X2 before I buy another unit. I also want to know for certain what the start up and load times are for both the X2 and A35.