I just happen to own a 2220 B. I bought one last year just to have something from the era. In my basement it didn't sound too hot hooked up to a pair of NHT SuperOnes- pretty raw and no headroom. Then I took it to a buddy's house, where we hooked in up to a pair of Phase Technology 7Ts (8" two-way floorstander with 89-90 sensitivity).
His regular power source was an early 90s Carver receiver rated at 80 wpc. The Carver can play louder without strain. But the old Marantz sounds better. It provides more defined and authoritative bass and more vivid imaging- just more involving overall. It has stayed happily at his house since. It generally is pretty happy up to 12:00 on the volume dial, where it is plenty "loud enough" most of the time- after that, get out the cotton balls. I also need to tame the sound with the mid and treble controls, but my friend turns the treble back up to 12:00. (He's a concrete worker.)
In sum, it should do fine if not pushed too hard and the speakers, source or room don't exacerbate the harshness in the upper mids and treble.