Hi Folks - like many others, I have been lurking here for a while soaking up all the good info about Axiom speakers in preparation for upgrading my speakers from some "just OK" Polk's, as I am ready to move to the "next level". I've decided to go with M60ti's, VP150, EP350 and 3 QS8's (6.1 config) for primarily HT with a bit of music (maybe more now!) thrown in. I've already received the QS8's and EP350 and after a bit of re-arranging of the room, will be ordering the VP150 and M60's. As noted by many other members of this board, I have been delighted by the quality and performance of the product I've received so far, the great customer service, and especially the atmosphere of the discussion forums hosted by Axiom on their products and the folks that contribute.

My previous speakers were wall mounted (except for the sub) as are now the QS8's. The M60's will be the first real floorstanders I've had since some vintage speakers I got rid of a long time ago. They will be sitting on a carpeted floor (as will the EP350) over a wood subfloor. What I am curious about is your thinking on carpet spikes - the whys and the results of using them as opposed to having them just sit on the carpet.

I surmise that the reason for using carpet spikes is to make contact through the carpet to the floor underneath, correct? What I'm not so clear on is what the benefit of doing this is and would like to see what the very knowledgeable folks on this board can share on the topic, as well as experiences with and without. This will help plug one of those knowledge voids us "learners" are looking to fill.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and I'm pleased to be a new member of the Axiom "family".

Cheers,

Doug McBride
Auburn, California