Originally Posted By: HomeDad
 Quote:
Sometimes, if I find the book riveting, I'll do one of my favorite things in life.......read until sunrise.

Jack, I'll do the same thing, with certain novels it's like an adrenaline rush and I can't stop until I'm done, then I can't fall asleep once I'm finished. Then I get the ones that are enjoyable but will put me out like a light after 30 minutes \:\)

Yup! Most contemporary fiction novels can keep me awake awhile, but many biographies and WWII histories can put out my light in 10 to 30 minutes. It's not that they aren't interesting, it's just that they're a little dry, lacking page turning excitement. At the moment, I'm reading a highly acclaimed, 541 page, history of the WWII African campaign entitled An Army At Dawn - The War in North Africa, 1942-1943 by Rick Atkinson (Operation Torch). Again, it's interesting, but I sometimes can't make it more than a page or two before turning out the light. I'm only up to page 109. \:\(

I have some good ol' action/mystery thrillers on order at my local library (Robert B. Parker; Ken Follet; Richard North Patterson; David Baldacci) which should begin arriving any day. Things should get a lot more exciting soon . Can someone explain why, when one orders books from the library weeks or months apart, they all arrive at the same time, giving one only a few weeks to read 4 or 5 books?

Reading for knowledge is rewarding but, mostly, I read for enjoyment.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton