I have a stereo version of a multichannel work by Xenakis (Persepolis). I was curious how PLIIx and the other algorithms would react to a collapsed version of a work that is meant to be played in a circular arena with 8 discrete channels all around. The piece is 60 minutes. I decided to try for 5...

In stereo, it is interesting, but the ear keeps telling you that there is more to it. With PLIIx, the soundstage becomes LARGE. Even beyond the walls. But the 8 channels becomes distinct and well spread, with even extremites more on the side than in the front. Then I tried Neo:6. Total collapse to the central channel with here and there something coming from the M80s (I prefer PLIIx, but this is the first time that Neo:6 is genuinly bad). Then, out of fairness, I casually switched the receiver to Neural THX 7.1. BANG! Four channels passed though me and went TO THE BACK! The whole soundstage was now at its proper place, with each of the surround speakers playing its own little channel. UNBELIEVABLE. I ended up listening to the whole thing. GREAT MOMENT.

I guess the algorithm used to mix the stereo was either the same or one that has natural compatibility with Neural THX 7.1.. Makes me wonder now about those CDs that are mixed using ProLogic II. They might be worth seeking.

Any of you had had experience with such stereo mixes from a algo supported by your receiver.

See Mojo's signature