As you may have heard, Sony is apparently discontinuing their rear projection displays (SXRD and 3LCD lines) in order to concentrate on flat panel LCD sets.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/19/sony-dumping-all-rear-projection-tvs-to-focus-on-lcds/

According to a spokesperson, "We are moving our resources more toward LCD TV, because that's what people really want."

I have to agree with Engadget that it seems odd to drop those lines entirely when they're extremely popular. Of course, I also just got a notice from Sony on the 7th that they settled their SXRD optical block class action lawsuit. My set was replaced with the later model, so I don't have to try to take advantage of that outcome, but I wonder if the difficulties they've had with their SXRD sets contributed to their decision to discontinue rear projection.

While I had my troubles with my first unit and I vowed to never buy another Sony TV when dealing with their customer service was such a hassle, I'm sad to see them get out of rear projection. I still really love the picture on my TV, and while a wall-hanging unit would be sexier, the price was right.

So this decision is still unconfirmed, but it sounds fairly certain.

However, now I wonder what will happen to their SXRD front projectors. It's not like they can discontinue that line, right?