IMO Jakewash is correct when he says that the 60s vs 80 for movies would be negligible assuming you have a (good) subwoofer.

When I A/B tested the 80s and 60s at the Axiom plant I heard almost no difference in the high, mid and mid low range. However I did notice a larger difference in low bass (below 150 Hz). The 80’s were just more defined in that area, and it was quite apparent switching back and forth.

Since for most of my music listening I don’t want to use a sub, I chose to go with the 80’s. Quit the opposite to what you initial post suggests.

Having said that, the base response of the 60’s was also very good, and if my budget didn’t allow for the 80’s, I would have been elated to have the 60’s in my house.

There are times when I have to physically walk up to my EP500 and make sure it’s not on when listening to the 80’s. There are rare times when I wish the 80’s had a little less bass (very rare). The 60’s would give me more control over the bottom end on some tracks with the use of a subwoofer.

I think the difference here is not so much which sounds better as to more your personal choice.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990