Originally Posted By: nitrojiber
Well, it is encouraging to hear that most of you are pleased with your health-care system (since we are definitely heading towards government run health care).

We have a huge problem with illegal immigration here though. How are non-citizens handled?

What an interesting thread and people are staying civilized! I love this board.

To receive subsidized health care in Canada, you have to produce your Health Card. You need to be a citizen to get one. Of course, I'm sure it could be faked but so can citizenship. I have never heard of such being a problem so I must assume it's pretty rare. If you were a visitor from the States, you would be asked to provide insurance information, but the good news is that if your life is threatened, you will never be refused. I have no idea what we do when you wake up from your life saving operation and you still have no insurance in your home country.

I assume we ship you to our National Prison Igloo and force you to build the holes in Tom Horten's doughnuts using nothing but broken hockey stick blades for tools until you can be reintroduced into society in a work term as a Celine Dion roadie.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.