I just put in the "upgrade" request to Dish last night to get HD. There is normally a $180 upgrade fee (I was quoted this 2 months ago), but right now they are knocking off $80, and then give a $100 credit back to your account so that becomes basically a free upgrade.

HD channels are free for 6 months, and I signed up for Dish DVR advantage which doesn't cost anything, and saves me $0.98 a month now, and then locks my prices in for a year so that I don't get hit with their $3 price increase on my package, effectively saving me $4 a month as well. (Offers end 1/31/08)

Anyway, I know that I will be getting 30 channels of HD now (without any PPV or pay channels in there), but I was reading something yesterday about how Voom channels are on dish. Voom advertises 35 channels of HD, so what gives? Will it be 30 or will it be 35? Also, I heard that they are adding SciFi channel. Does anyone know a date on that? I saw some posts from back in early December saying that the channel was in the lineup, but not broadcasting yet, and then another post from a few days ago said that it still wasn't available yet.

I know that they plan to add more capacity this year, just like DirecTV did last year, and we know that capacity does not = # of channels available. Is there a list of the channels available now, and a list of what is planned for 2008, or is that still up in the air?

I'm so excited about finally getting this. I went with the 662 (200 hours of standard def/30 hours of HD) HD/DVR receiver since this will be feeding my theater and the TV in my kitchen. We already have a 552 (100 hours of standard def) feeding our living room and bedroom. I could have gone with the 772 for another 150 hours of SD and 20 hours of HD recording, but it was another $50, and then my upgrade wouldn't have been "free." Besides, we have a hard time watching everything that is on our 552 right now, I'm not sure that we really need THAT much more unwatched TV.

Farewell - June 4, 2020