Quote:
Right now I have my $6 TV hooked to my stereo set up

That was me until two months ago. I must say, I am enjoying the step up from a 19" screen to a 50" screen. \:o

I am a little hesitant to pick up 20 or 30 year old equipment. My understanding is that electronics degrade over time. Something less than 5 years old on the other hand...

Quote:
Yamahas, they are fine enough, but not detailed and lively for music

I have yet to hear of any sort of explanation for what in the electronics would 'remove' detail from a signal. I suppose an amp that has a flat frequency response at 85db may not at 30db and so you may lose some of the quieter sounds in material and so, loose detail. As far as I know, nowbody has shown this to be true(backed up by measurements or controlled listening tests).

I tend to go with people like Alan Loft who have been listening for years as part of their job. ...and after all, Alan must have good ears. He hooked up with Axiom didn't he?

I've been doing a little more digging on Yamaha and it seems that they have a proliferation of receivers but as a rule they seem to deliver more watts per $$ at reasonable specs (on paper at least).

The RX-V659 seems to be the real deal. Is it reasonable to assume the same build quality accross the entire Yamaha line? Need to find some more reviews I guess.

Fred

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!