I'm going to put a diagram together to help in receiving advice.

But the room's 16x20 with 16x6 of that beyond the HT zone (ie. current speakers make sound for 16x14) which puts TV and main couch centered in the 16x14; off to the right (beyond the non-used space) is a wall of glass for my walk-out basement; couch is against the back wall; to the left of the couch is a funny zone as it is where the stairs go up (so back 5x4 of 16x14 is dead zone).

I need to get everything at once as I am replacing an old JVC HTIB which had a decent 10" 100w sub and tiny little 5 speakers that still makes great sound (my wife can't understand why I talk of upgrade).

I really enjoy DTS 5.1 today and can not go backwards to less speakers. So my next step is buy a receiver and 6 speakers in one shot.

The trade-up program seems to me to be a good way to start with really, really good 5.1 (and waaaaay better than the JVC HTIB) and enhance piece by piece to great rather than start where you want to end and only have 3 pieces of a surround sound system.

Looking forward to visiting several houses for auditions, and biased opinions vs. Def Tech, Paradigm, Energy, B&W.

Cheers,

Rick