gmeyer - I have the Insteon products from Smarthome. I do not have the IR adapter so I don't know how well that works. I use the Insteon remote from Smarthome. They work really well for me. The cool thing is that you can control pretty much any other Insteon device (or multiple Insteon devices) from a single Insteon switch. It worked really well where I needed to turn lights on/off from two different doorway entries. No tricky wiring necessary. You can print out a .pdf of their installation guides to see what I mean. One thing I did notice is that their dimmer switches seem to get pretty warm so I would recommend staying below the recommended wattage of the switch. You cannot use two of their 1000W dimmers side by side since they have cooling fins that interfere with each other. You can break off the cooling fins but I wouldn't recommend that because you are esentially lowering the switches rating then. The Insteon switches also have interchangeable color bars for the lights that indicate how bright you have the swith set. Since my HT is basically all blue, I changed the color bars to be blue also. It's a minor detail but I think it looks nice.

I have had some experience with the X10 switches/controllers and the Insteon switches seem to work better for me. That being said, they are also more expensive. My installation was pretty spendy since I needed 16 switches, 2 lamp controllers, an appliance controller (for the ceiling stars), and the remote.

Don't die with a clean shop!