Quote:
"Dynamic range" can be used to many sauce

And I am sometimes wondering which sauce we are talking about.

Given that this stuff is defined and quantifiable one would think that it is well understood in the audiophile community, but it sometimes seems not.

I see head room numbers being quoted and they seem to contradict each other. For example to the folks at Crown, 6db headroom (from average) is nothing and is considered adequate only for compressed pop/rock music, yet I have seen it suggested here, by inference, that 6db amp headroom is just fine for all music.

I always think of headroom being the power available above the average C-weighted (thats the slow one isn't it?) spl measured when you are listening to a given piece of music.

Quote:
...peeks that can reach quite high, but for very, very brief periods.

Can you quantify that at all? How high, how long, and can we hear it? Crown allows for short term inaudable clipping in their power recommendations, but they don't explain what that means.

Hmm... a brief (1 hour) sidetrack to do some internet searches suggests that we can indeed hear it (at least in theory). In fact, the speed of the attack is one of the auditory cues we use to determine what instrument it is we are listening to.

I would love to hear more on this from you Eric. I suspect you have done a lot of reading on the subject.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!