I had been contemplating a PS3 for BluRay, gaming, and streaming my music to the HT room. (Squeezebox does upstairs wonderfully but a PS3 does so much more for not much more money.) Been feeding my spontaneous shopping habits by asking everyone questions, including you guys.

Ran into an old friend last night who's brother had an 80GB model for sale as he was leaving for a military tour in South Africa. He wasn't sure he really wanted to sell it. He originally wanted 350 which I was only too eager to pay but all of a sudden he came up with an idea. He would only charge me $200 if I agreed to sell it back to him for the same price, should he decide he wants it upon his return in 6 to an unknown number of months.

DEAL!!
Worst case, I get a 6 months trial then get 100% of my money back!

I was amazed how simple this was to set up. It automatically determined that 1080i was the best my TV would do. It had connected to my home network before I even found my way into the network settings screen. The latest patch downloaded and installed seamlessly and I was done. I was almost disappointed that I didn't have to figure anything out for myself.

I turned on Media Sharing in my PC's Windows Media Player and by the time I walked back into the TV room, my music library was showing up on the PS3.

I normally like to bash Sony but I will give credit where it is due. What a well designed machine from an integration point of view. I expected an evening of tweaking and looking up troubleshooting hints on the internet. Nope. It just worked. Plain and simple.

The user interface for accessing the shared media is a disappointingly cludgy but it does the job. I'm going to experiment with TVersity to see if it can improve things. It's also free.

Anyone else have any experience in streamlining the streaming process?

Last edited by Murph; 04/09/08 02:57 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.