Okay, they're a little crude, but this is the first wood working project I've done. A while back I got an itch to put my tube amps back in my system, but I had no place for them on my TV stand. So, in a moment of inspiration I decided to build my own stand for each amp. I'm really surprised how well they turned out and now I have this weird compulsion to build more things.

Close-up of spikes. I spent a lot of time thinking how I wanted to install these. In the end, I drilled some pilot holes and pounded them in place with a block of wood and a heavy mallet.

Here's the stand in place with the tube amp.

The other side. As you can see, not a whole lot of room.

All in all, this was a very satisfying project. I think I spent a total of $60-70 bucks. The spikes were the most expensive things at about $20 per set of four. Initially, I think I wanted to go DIY to save money, but then it changed to simply wanting to do a project from start to finish. Believe me, if I can do something like these, you guys can, too!

These are things I learned:

1. Do not have a Home Depot employee cut your board, even if it is free. The first time I told the guy, "Cut this in half." He gave me one piece 10 inches long and the other 16. The second board I measured for him. . .

2. Sanding sucks. Especially when your hand slips and you get that splinter under your fingernail.

3. A little bit of wood glue goes a long way.

4. A rag is much better at applying stain than a brush.

5. Patience is a virtue.

6. Do not do a project in your parent's garage especially if they throw the cats in there at night to sleep unless you enjoy wiping dirty paw prints off the wood every day.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose