My buddy is having an issue that we're attempting to solve. I have zero knowledge of HTPC's, and have no hi-def player yet. The only HD I experience at home is thru Comcast.

My friend has delved into the HTPC realm and has built one himself, with an Nvidia 8600GT Video card w/DVI out. He's running XP using VLC media player. He also receives other HD content thru Comcast only, no hi-def player. He's playing 1080p Blu-Ray MKV files with VLC media player in native mode.

Here's the problem:
All content appears on screen in what appears to be in wide-screen format, with black bars on top and bottom. The perspective however, appears correct. I'm not sure if there's missing video info.
It looks like HD though. He's tried different format options within VLC (16:9,16:10, etc), and the only option that fills the screen is 4:3 I believe. He's tried at least 3 movies that I've seen. His HD through Comcast displays correctly.

I first have to ask a super-noob question I have to get out of the way... Is all Blu-Ray content screen filling, except perhaps for artistic effect?

If it is (I assume yes), then what could be causing the issue? His TV displays 1080i, but not 1080p. I don't think that should make a difference, but pls correct me if I'm wrong.

My feeling is that it has something to do with the files themselves or the VLC player. Let me know if you need more info. Thx!!

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED