Originally Posted By: spiffnme

DVD playback through the disasterous experiment that was/is my HTPC is horrible. I don't trust I'll ever be happy with the PQ. I've tried everything I can think of. It's just complete crap.

Is this the norm for most people because DVD playback from disk or hard drive on my HTPC is as good or better than my Oppo 981HD. More configuration options too.

I don't mind buying a ton of storage. Nor do I mind if ripping my library takes a long time. I'm looking for the best quality archive I can get. Speed and space isn't an issue. PQ and SQ, as well as ease of playback is though.

If you are serious about ripping and serving lots of DVD and uncompressed music I would go with Ray3’s …”2) There are network storage devices (NAS) available as well.” I have one that holds 4 hot swappable hard drives is available to everything on my network and is accessible over the internet so when I go overseas I don’t have to carry a bunch of media or watch/listen to compressed stuff. They are still pricey but I think more than worth it for the flexibility if you are storing lots of stuff.

We need more room in our living room, and my large DVD tower is taking up too much space.

I switched all my stuff over to slim-line CD cases and it takes up much less room. I fit over 800 disks in just one cheep Walmart media storage bookshelf. Makes them a little harder to find but so would running out of wall space. Works best for multi disk series which I rubber band together with a label.

Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1