Depends on if you want 802.11n support and if you want other features like NAS (network attached storage). Also, you may or may not care about wirelss then you can choose a relatively cheap Netgear/Linksys router with a firewall built in.

I've used a Linksys WRT54GC for years and it's great. This supports 802.11g. Similar boxes from Netgear and Belkin are fine too. For 11n, the same vendors also have boxes but performance really depends on what clients (PCs, Macs, game consoles, etc) that you have. In order for you to take advantage of 802.11n, your clients have to also support it. At a minimum, using an 802.11n router with 802.11g clients can give you better range but you'll max out at 52 Mbps (theoretical). Some 11g routers claim 108Mbps but you need the same vendor client card too.

Because I have several Macbooks and an Apple TV at home I started using the newer Airport Extremes and recently an Apple Time Capsule. (I also have a vested interest but that's another story...) These are very good routers/access points IMHO and are very easy to use/setup. The Windows friendliness can be argued with Time Capsule but still a good product. There are other vendors like Netgear, Buffalo and others that have solutions but none will be as easy to use as Apple. However, if you want complete flexibility you may not want an Apple one. Their GUI does restrict access to certain settings that power uses might want. For me, I'm good to go.

If you have specific questions regarding vendors or technology, fire away.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 06/21/08 07:18 PM.