Fair use has no meaning anymore, if you ask the RIAA. Bunch of communists.

For what it's worth, I haven't purchased a physical copy of music in years. Just plan too expensive. I got into the bad habit of borrowing and ripping from friends. No doubt illegal. Unquestionably not in line with RIAA acceptable practices.

Then, I discovered several overseas sites that let you download music for a fraction of what Apple charges you. While the RIAA refuses to "negotiate with terrorists" and leaves the royalty dollars on the table in such countries as Russia, the bottom line is that, since albums (as opposed to single songs) started costing me $1.00 each, my gross consumption has skyrocketed. I went from spending $.00 on music per month to probably $20 per month.

The supply and demand of music has gotten all out of whack. The economics don't work anymore, especially given the prevalence of near on demand access to artists' music via the internet. The balance between discovering new music, keeping up with established artists, lining the pockets of the recording industry suits and compensating artists is all out of synch.

If you want my prediction, dinosaurs like BMG will be extinct long before artists stop making music and consumers stop buying it (however that is accomplished). Evolve or die. Isn't that a law or something? Whatever the case, the recording industry seems intent on disobeying that law.